Bloods are taken between 11:45 and 1:00 on Monday and 11:15 - 1:00 on Tuesday and Wednesday only at Jenner House. Please report to reception on arrival and remember your blood test form.
To Book an Appointment
Appointments can be made at 11:00 the day before by telephoning or asking at the reception desk, as below:
(This system has been adopted to reduce the number of 'Did Not Attends' for this limited service provided by Princess Alexandra Hospital).
- Monday for a Tuesday appointment
- Tuesday for a Wednesday appointment
- Wednesday for a Monday appointment
Note: Patients requiring a blood test who under the age of 14 must book an appointment at the pathology department at Princess Alexandra Hospital on 01279 444455. These are appointments are given between Monday - Thursday, 14:00 – 14:30.
15th October 2020 - New way of booking a blood test at the hospital - Click Here
Available Monday - Friday at:
- Princess Alexandra Hospital: 07:00 – 16:30
- Herts & Essex Hospital: 08:30 – 16:30
- St Margaret's Hospital: 09:00 – 15:45
About Blood Tests
A blood test is when a sample of blood is taken for testing in a laboratory. Blood tests have a wide range of uses and are one of the most common types of medical test. For example, a blood test can be used to:
- assess your general state of health
- confirm the presence of a bacterial or viral infection
- see how well certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are functioning
A blood test usually involves the phlebotomist taking a blood sample from a blood vessel in your arm. and the usual place for a sample is the inside of the elbow or wrist, where the veins are relatively close to the surface. Blood samples from children are most commonly taken from the back of the hand. The child's hand will be anaesthetised (numbed) with a special cream before the sample is taken.
You can find out more about blood tests, their purpose and the way they are performed on the NHS Choices website.